Age: 6-7 years
- Students are able to recognize a limited number of Hindi letters, symbols or characters.
- They are occasionally able to identify high frequency words and/or phrases when strongly supported by context.
- Students at the Novice Low sublevel are able to copy or transcribe familiar words or phrases, form letters in an alphabetic system copy
- Given adequate time and familiar cues, they can reproduce from memory a very limited number of isolated words or familiar phrases, but errors are to be expected.
- Students have no real functional ability and, because of their pronunciation, may be unintelligible.
- Given adequate time and familiar cues, they may be able to exchange greetings, give their identity, and name a number of familiar objects from their immediate environment.
- They are unable to perform functions or handle topics pertaining to the Intermediate level, and cannot therefore participate in a true conversational exchange.
- The students are able to occasionally recognize isolated words or very high-frequency phrases when those are strongly supported by context.